UK and France Will Dispatch Military Personnel to the Country in the event that a Peace Agreement is Agreed

Placeholder Diplomatic Meeting

The UK and France have inked a declaration of intent concerning the deployment of armed personnel in Ukraine if a ceasefire be made with Moscow, the Prime Minister of Britain, Sir Keir Starmer, has declared.

Subsequent to negotiations with Ukraine's allies in the French capital, he said that the UK and France would "set up operational bases across Ukraine and build protected installations for weapons and equipment" to prevent any future incursion.

The partner countries also suggested that the US would play the primary role in monitoring a halt in hostilities.

The Kremlin has on multiple occasions cautioned that any external forces in Ukraine would be considered a "valid objective", but has not yet issued a statement on this latest development.

Background and Continuing Hostilities

Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a comprehensive attack of Ukraine in February 2022, and Russian forces at this time controls roughly 20% of the country's land.

"This constitutes a crucial element of our pledge to be alongside Ukraine for the duration," commented the UK Prime Minister.

National leaders and senior officials from the "Partner Group" participated in Tuesday's talks.

Speaking at a shared media briefing, the Prime Minister noted: "It establishes the framework for the juridical structure under which British, French, and partner forces could work on the ground in Ukraine, defending Ukraine's airspace and waters, and regenerating Ukraine's armed forces for the future."

The British leader also stated that the UK would participate in any American-headed confirmation of a prospective ceasefire.

Security Guarantees and Negotiation Stances

Lead American diplomat Steve Witkoff stated that "long-term safety pledges and strong reconstruction vows are critical to a lasting peace" in Ukraine – referring to a major condition made by Kyiv.

He said the coalition had "substantially agreed on" their work on finalizing such assurances "in order that the people of Ukraine know that when this conflict ends, it ends permanently."

Donald Trump's son-in-law, former American President Donald Trump's representative, also was involved in the negotiations.

Separately, President Macron Emmanuel Macron stated that Ukraine's supporters had made "significant advances" at the negotiations.

He added that "comprehensive" defense assurances for Kyiv had been settled upon in the case of a possible ceasefire.

President Volodymyr Zelensky stated that a "huge development" had been made in the negotiations, but cautioned that he would only consider efforts to be "sufficient" if they resulted in the conclusion of the conflict.

Last week, the Ukrainian leader indicated a peace deal was "90% ready". Settling the remaining 10% would "shape the fate of the peace, the future of Ukraine and Europe".

Remaining Challenges

  • Territory and defense assurances have been at the forefront of ongoing disputes for the parties involved.
  • Moscow has consistently stated that Ukrainian troops must pull back from all of Ukraine's eastern Donbas region or Russia will seize it, dismissing any compromise over how to finish the war.
  • Kyiv has to date ruled out giving up any territory, but has floated the idea that Ukraine could move its forces to an agreed point – but only if Russia does the same.

Moscow currently occupies about 75% of the Donetsk region and some 99% of the adjacent Luhansk region. The pair of oblasts form the area of Donbas.

The initial US-led comprehensive peace plan that was extensively reported to the media last year was perceived by Kyiv and its EU supporters as being disproportionately favorable in Moscow's favor.

This triggered weeks of high-level diplomacy – with the involved parties trying to adjust the document.

Recently, The Ukrainian government submitted the US an updated framework – as well as separate documents outlining prospective security guarantees and arrangements for Ukraine's recovery, he said.

Christopher Parks
Christopher Parks

A seasoned gambling analyst with over a decade of experience in casino gaming and sports betting strategies.